A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The Engine House, Boughton.
The Engine House Tavern, 111 Boughton / Richmond Place. The first we have learned about this inn is that it was originally called The Richmond Place Beerhouse. It was more popularly known as Ruscoe's, after the family who took it on in 1807. John Ruscoe was the first of that name to run it and he also kept livestock- there was a large yard with outbuildings behind.
Ron and Margaret Critchlow had the place in the early 1970s. The interior of the pub was decked out in the cream and maroon livery of the Old Great Western Railway. The words 'Station Master' appeared above the bar and the Ladies and Gents were suitably indicated with huge signs. Not a pub for passing trade, but it had a strong, firm base of locals and a top class darts team.
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture