A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The George Hotel around 1910. Licencee F W Attewell is standing in the doorway
Final days as a pub
The former George photographed by the author in February 2010
The George Hotel- no. 5 Black Diamond Street, originally on the corner of St James Street but now on the busy Hoole Way stretch of the Inner Ringroad.
The George was, after sitting empty for a considerable period, converted for residential and commercial use until, replete with a brand new sign 'The Old George', it housed for a few years a hi-fi retailer with flats above. That business moved into the recently closed Beehive Hotel on the other side of Hoole Bridge in 2012.
|This 2012 view of the George also shows, to its immediate left, the still-thriving Egerton Arms on the corner of Brook Street and, left again, the modern nursing home where once stood The Angel Hotel.
The Railway Inn, between the George and the Egerton, closed in 2013 and now houses a funeral director's business- surely a first among the lost pubs of Chester!
The George Hotel on the far left, facing the now-vanished coal offices in 1969,
just before before the coming of the Inner Ringroad
Do you have any more information about this old pub?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture