A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
Around 1533-4, this site on the south side of Eastgate Street was occupied by three houses respectively owned by the Franternity of St. Anne, Sir John Talbot, knight and Sir John Port, knight and justice of the common bench. Later, two inns were opened here, The Golden Talbot- a sign adapted by the Grosvenor armorials, and The White Talbot- adaped from those of the Talbots. These inns were in existence around 1750. By 1782, the two inns had been confined under the sign of the Talbot and the licencee was Thomas Jackson.
The Golden Talbot was advertised in the long-defunct Adam's Weekly Courant of 17th September 1751 as "that ancient and well-accustomed inn which is now fitted up in the neatest manner and held by Thomas Hickman (late agent to the Hon. Colonel Lee deceas'd) where all gentlemen, ladies and others who shall be pleased to make use of the said house may depend on the best accomodations and most civil usage".
Originally, the Exchange in Market Square had been the social centre for Chester's gentry and professional classes. From about 1720, thet transferred their alleigance to the more genteel surroundings of Booth Mansion, an imposing Georgian house in Watergate Street. Fashionable balls and entertainments were held in the assembly room above Row level until the 1770s when quality purpose-built accomodation was provided at the Talbot.
The Royal Hotel's licencee in 1850 was John Johnstone, in 1857 D McGregor. This last entry, from the Post Office Directory of Cheshire, gives the address as "Royal Hotel Row, Eastgate Street".
Chester's Vanished Pubs 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Site Front Door | Site Index | Chester Walls Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture