A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The Swan Hotel, no 60 Foregate Street, was popularly known as Eddie Davies'- "The hotel with the famous fim performing parrots". During WW2, it was a regular favourite with American servicemen.
One John Deane, prebendary of Lincoln and rector of St. Bartholemew the Great in Smithfield, London, in need of investment properties to help fund a school he was founding in his birthplace, Northwich, purchased an inn in Foregate Street by the name of The Swan in 1557. The inn and surrounding land had formed part of the dissolved estates of The Fraternity of St. Anne's, a little-known religious foundation that formerly existed in the vicinity of St. John's Church. The inn was later recorded as existing in 1615. Most of the buildings in the street were burned to the ground during the Seige of Chester in 1645-6 and the later Swan rose upon the site of its destroyed earlier namesake. Its licencee was Thomas Bulkeley who died in 1783 "after many years being master of the house". The landlord in 1850 was Evan Roberts, in 1857-60 Robert Rider, in 1873 John W. Massey, when the place was described in the trade directory as a 'Spirit Vaults'. In 1880 it was William Clark (its address was given as no 52 Foregate Street at this time). In 1902 the licencee was A Q Roberts, in 1910 Samuel H Janion and in 1914 Edward Eccles.
Foregate Street in 1970: the Classic Cinema and the Swan Hotel.
Behind the inn was this mean row of tenements known as Swan Court, seen here in 1920
Chester's Vanished Pubs 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Site Front Door | Site Index | Chester Walls Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture