A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The White Lion Hotel stood at 79 Foregate Street. It may have been in existence before 1781, possibly under a different name, but it was first recorded as The White Lion when a brewer and churchwarden of St. John's Church, John Peers, took it on in that year.
Our two photographs (top one 1920s, bottom unknown but probably earlier) show the old inn looking very different. The 'Chester' black & white continues on the adjoining building in both cases but is absent- yet to be added?- from the Lion's facade...
Below we see a fine, car-free, view of Foregate Street and The White Lion on an old postcard...
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery | lost pubs maps
Walls | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture