Old Photographs & Drawings of Liverpool
The Coronation Gardens in 1953. A source of some puzzlement to later generations, these temporary gardens were laid out to disguise the huge areas destroyed by German bombing in WW2. Paradise Street is on the right, leading to its junction with Whitechapel (notice Bunney's Stores on its corner), Church Street and Lord Street, seen in the background. The gardens sadly vanished when the entire area was rebuilt- and then rebuilt again with the recent coming of the vast Liverpool One development..
The same year as the above, 1953: a view entirely unfamiliar to modern Liverpudlians..
1965: The gardens have matured in the twelve years since the above pictures were taken.