Old Photographs & Drawings of Chester & Liverpool
The original Queen's Park Bridge, Chester: 1920s
|A fine handcoloured restoration by Jeremy Stubbs of Handbridge of the original Queen's Park Suspension Bridge.
The bridge was built in 1852 at the instigation of Enoch Gerrard, Esq., the 'projector and proprietor' of Queen's Park, the developing surburb across the river.
According to Thomas Hughes, author of The Stranger's Handbook to Chester, "It was a pretty object in the landscape. Though of such spider-like construction, its capabilities and strength have been fully tested".
When Chester Corporation accepted the responsibility for this bridge in the early 1920s, they decided to demolish it, This took place in August 1922, and a new bridge built to the designs of Mr Charles Greenwood, City Engineer and Surveyor, took its place. The opening ceremony, conducted by the Mayor of Chester, Councillor S. R. Wall, took place on 18 April 1923.
city- and see a photograph of the above bridge-