Old Photographs & Drawings of Liverpool
The Queensway Tunnel was opened on July 18, 1934 by King George V and Queen Mary, in honour of whom it is named. 200,000 people watched the opening from the Old Haymarket entrance, in Liverpool and afterwards, many of them, including the author's mother and grandparents, walked through the tunnel before it opened to traffic.
|This 1940s photograph shows how the Mersey Tunnel's dock entrance was neatly fitted into the older cityscape. Water Street and St. Nicolas' Church are on the right and the sadly-missed Overhead Railway runs beneath.|