A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The Hop Pole Hotel, Foregate Street 1920
The Hop Pole Hotel was at 13 Foregate Street, on the north side close to the junction of Frodsham Street. It may be seen in the background of the photograph above, depicting a pretty girl and a pony collecting funds for injured WW1 servicemen in 1920.
On the far right may be glimpsed another of Chester's vanished ancient inns, the Bear's Paw.
The Hop Pole was first mentioned in 1642 when it was built by Alderman Edwards. It was also called The Globe Tavern. This inn, however was soon afterwards destroyed during the Civil War seige and rebuilt a decade or so later bearing the same name (it was recorded as such 1n 1725), which it would retain until 1782 when its name was changed to The Hop Pole Inn, the licencees at the time being John Axon and William Hassall. The inn was recorded as such in Cowdroy's Directory in 1789 when the licencee was still John Axon, apparently now alone.
A fine Edwardian postcard view of the Eastgate. The Hop Pole Hotel can be seen on the right
Advertisment for a tobacconist's premises "adjoining the Hop Pole Inn"
Do you have any more information about this old pub?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery | lost pubs maps
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Page