A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
This tiny detail from the 1875 Chester OS map shows the junction of Linenhall, Nicolas and Watergate Streets as they were before the coming of the Inner Ring Road.
To the far right is the (at least) 200 year-old Axe Tavern, (no 75 Watergate Street). This inn has changed it's name often: The Old Axe Tavern in 1828, back to The Axe Tavern in 1840 when Mrs Andrews was in charge, simply The Axe in 1850 (wich it remained in 1880 when Edward Greenwood was the gaffer) to The Axe Tavern again in 1914.
The Ring Road demanded the radical widening of Nicolas and Linenhall Streets (the latter, including its name, vanishing in the process), resulting in the destruction of numerous buildings, including, sadly, the venerable Yacht Inn.
"YATCH INN, Chester. SIMEON LEET, OF the PY’D BULL, in Northgate-street, Chester, humbly begs Leave to inform the Public, That for several Reasons, particularly the great Distance of his present House from the Center of the City, which rendered it very inconvenient to Travellers, he has taken that compleat and old-established Inn, the YATCH, and intends entering on it by the 25th of this Inst. March, where he hopes to be honoured with the Countenance of his Friends who have resorted to the Py’d Bull, as well as those Gentlemen who have usually bestowed their Favours to the Yatch.
Both The Axe and The Yacht may be seen in our photograph.
You can read more about the venerable Yacht Inn and see a few more pictures of it on its own page in our 'lost pubs' gallery...
Finally, we see The Linenhall Tavern which is recorded in Pigot's Directory as trading here in 1818-20, licencee Jane Britain. She was still the licencee in 1828, Later came Samuel Peacock (also a cooper) in 1840-50, James Whitlow in 1880, Henry Peat in 1902. It also appears in this detail from the map.
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Map | Next Map