A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
This page updated October 2020
The Talbot Inn (locally referred to as ’The Dog’), 33 Walter Street / corner of Church Street, Newtown.
The Talbot closed its doors for the last time on Thursday, June 20th 2019, after owners Marstons Brewery made the decision to sell the property. Plans are in place to convert the pub into three flats.
William Chew, beerhouse keeper, is recorded as being there in 1881. In 1893/4 A F Roberts was licencee, in 1896-1902 George Flenley is described as a ‘beer retailer’ as was Ernest Allcock in 1910-14. In the 1970s and 80s, The Dog was run by George & Dora Rawlinson and George Parkinson. Also a lady called Alice who had a daughter named Sharni. Peter Evans was in charge at one time but it's unsure when.. Robert and Jackie Jones took over from George Parkinson in 1991 but Robert passed away 2 years later. Jackie ran it alone until 2006 when Chris Barlow and Ange took it over.
The Talbot and some of its habituees around 1930
A cheering light in Walter Street we'll never see again..
The Talbot's transformation into flats almost complete, October 2020
Do you have any more information about, and memories of the Talbot?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery | lost pubs maps
Stroll | Living Pubs of Chester | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Page | Next Page: The King's Arms Kitchen