A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The Old Nag's Head (now a branch of Boots the Chemist)
The Old Nag's Head, nos 47 & 49 Foregate Street,
was owned in 1787-88 by Aaron Miller, who unfortunately went bankrupt. According to a notice in Adams’s Weekly Courant (1st January 1788):
The Old Nag’s Head had been bought by Peter Walker in 1905 and transferred within Allied Breweries to Ind Coope (West Midlands) in 1965. The Polletti family ran the pub around this time. We'd love to know more about them. It closed in the 1970s. Today, the building's fine carved wooden facade thankfully survives, but the old pub itself, together with the lane behind it, Crown Court with its cottages and industrial premises, have all vanished beneath the extensive premises of Boots the Chemist.
Do you have any more information about this old pub?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Site Front Door | Site Index | Chester Walls Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture