A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester

The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery

the shakespeare

The Shakespeare Inn was situated at 92 Foregate Street. The proprietor of the Queen's Park Brewery, William Richards owned the Shakespeare, presumably an outlet for his beer, until 1882 when he sold it to the Lion Brewery Company.

The landlord in 1840 (when it was called The Shakespeare Tavern) was Charles Crosbie, in 1850 Joseph Johnson, in 1857 Mrs J Sparks, in 1880 Alexander Keith, in 1898 Patrick Perkins, who was still there in 1902. In 1910-1914 it was Hugh Flood and in 1934 J Vickers.

Our photograph was taken when the pub had closed and been replaced by the Rendezvous Cafe. Today, Asia Tandoori occupy the building.

Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery

Site Front Door | Site Index | Chester Walls Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture