A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The Painter's Arms stood at no.1 St. Martin's-in-the-Fields. Its licencee in 1818-20 was William Dobson (Pigot's Directory), in 1828 (when the street is referred to as St. Martin's Place) it was still a William Dobson (his son?), 1n 1840 Mary Anne Reade, in 1857 Mrs M Davies, in 1880 Henry Walker, in 1902 Ignatius Ugalde (an unusual name! Where was he from?) in 1910-1914 John Maiden, in 1934-42, Mrs E A S Bartlett. Bill & Kitty McAdoo had the place in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture