A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
|Who remembers this view? The Queen's Head on the corner of City Road and Seller Street. Together with the Grosvenor Park Hotel and the Ring O' Bells, it was demolished to make way for the Inner Ring Road. Their site is now occupied by the Grosvenor Court offices and the City Road Roundabout.
The Queen's Head's licencee in 1840 was Elizabeth Meakin. It was listed in the Chester Trades Directory in 1850 when the licencee was John Shaw and the Post Office Directory of Cheshire in 1857 when T Walker had the place. In 1934 L Henderson was the landlord.
Showing the Queen's Head's former setting in Foregate Street
An advertisment for the Queen's Head from 1907
Above and below: the Queen's Head in 1969
Do you have any information about this pub?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture