A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
Still familiar to shoppers in Chester's Foregate Street, even though it has long ceased serving beer, is The Royal Oak (no. 44). Above we see it sometime in the 1970s and below as it appears today.
The inn was listed in Cowdroy's Directory in 1789 when the licencee was Mrs Faulkener. The licencee in 1828 was Elizabeth Morris, in 1850-57 Thomas Sudlow, in 1880 (when it appears in a Cheshire directory as no 34) Margaret Holland, in 1902 Henry Cross, in 1908 Richard Bardsley, in 1910 William Tidswell, in 1914 Peter Lawson, in 1942 James Eugene Kimpton. Charlies Farmer was the landlord in the 1950s and 60s, John Walsh in the late 60s and in 1978-9 it was Martin Powers.
The Chester historian Frank Simpson wrote in 1926 that at one time there were no less that five public houses adjoining each other on this spot.
Harold & Gladys Madeley's silver wedding, upstairs at Ye Olde Royal Oak in 1949 (thanks to Chris Kemp)
Do you have any more information about this old pub?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture