A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The London Bridge Hotel occupied 49 Bridge Street and 57 Bridge Street Row. In 1853 it was called The Bridge Inn. It was listed as such in the History, Gazetteer & Directory of Cheshire, 1850 when the licencee was Thomas Haddock. (Another Bridge Inn continues to thrive in Vicar's Cross).
The old inn was rebuilt, along with the rest of St. Michael's Row, in 1891 by the prolific Chester architect Thomas Lockwood and it is this ornate building we see in our photograph. It was on street and Row level with a steep stairway at the rear of the building, "very handy for a quick getaway" as local historian Len Morgan recently reminisced...
The London Bridge lost its licence around 1950, and became a branch of the Pearl Assurance Company. Today, the old pub is a coffee bar and clothes shop at one of the main entrances to the Grosvenor Precinct- or The Mall, as it is officially called now.
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture